Friday, April 30, 2010

Fish Market Adventure



We went to the Fish Market today and it was truly a fun experience. The smell was overwhelming right at first but you get used to it pretty fast.

There were tasting samples everywhere. My first taste was of marinated raw squid. It was delicious. Natalie braved a taste too.
Here is a picture in front of one of the many crab/octopus vendors. The crabs were still alive and wiggling, suffocating before our eyes.

This is the biggest fish eye I've ever seen! No desire to taste it.
At this vendor I tasted Herring eggs which were crunchy and salty. Not bad. The lady behind me actually spoke English.

Here the children are enjoying fish shaped pastries filled with vanilla custard.
Ryan introduced me to the amazing flavor of Takoyaki, which is chopped up octopus inside an egg batter/veggie ball with yakisoba sauce and fish flakes on top. This was my favorite of the day. I'm looking forward to eating it again.

Look at the biggest apple I've ever seen! It was the size of a small cantaloupe. Jealous Rick? This box was $14.28.
Squid ink pastry with custard is actually quite nice. I wasn't gagging.
And we finished our trip at the soft serve ice cream stand and enjoyed delicious strawberry, melon, chocolate and mixed flavors.

No comments: