Tuesday, May 04, 2010

WARNING:The following post some may find offensive!

When I lived in Japan some 45 years ago I hated having to use the public restrooms. The were usually stinky and the Japanese style of toilets were on the ground so squatting was the only way to go. However, I am pleasantly surprised to see that 45 years later they have modernized their facilities. Most of the restrooms I have frequented are not stinky and offer a choice like the following pictures show. Japanese style for those more traditional people and Western style for the tourists and those less flexible. Thank heavens cause I think at 60 years old, squatting might have presented a problem for me of either falling in or not being able to get back up.


.

One of the greatest surprises I got was when I sat down on the western style toilets was that they were HEATED. Oh my gosh it feels good. It truly makes it feel like a throne. I worry for those who read on the throne that it just might get to comfy. We Americans could take note on this idea.!!!!!!!
Unfortunately some things don't change and privacy never has been a priority here in Japan as you can see in the picture below. This is the men's restroom that is in full view of anyone who walks by. I am sure that the locals watching us take these pictures thought "Those crazy Americans."

No comments: